2011
09.17

I’ve been delving into woodworking over the past year or so, acquiring more and more tools & taking on larger and larger projects… There was the Kegerator, Charlie’s Toadstools & Table, Kathy’s Desk, etc.. Kathy had then commissioned me to build a kitchen table.

We spent a while tossing back and forth design ideas, and she had a pretty clear vision of what she wanted. Something farmhouse, but legs and structure that wasn’t too rustic… A few examples that really impressed her were here. In particular, she liked the way that the ‘leaves’ (or extensions) were made for these tables. That played to the need for a smaller apartment sized table, with the ability to add spaces when needed & when a larger dining room was available.

I got to work in google sketchup and came up with these preliminary sketches:

The red portion indicates the removable leaf system.

Kathy also had already ordered the legs that she really liked, from Osborne Wood Products. She drop shipped them straight to my house, in fact!

So, on with the show!

I started by laminating a series of 8 1×2′s to form 4 square arms for the extensions.

Then I put the table top together – a series of 1×8 pine boards, joined with pocket screws (Most of this project is joined using pocket screws, which allowed the quick build.)

The process was also very speedy with everything pre cut…

I also added an extension to my poor work bench making the cutting table of my chop saw level with the existing work bench… it made things SO much easier, especially when I could just screw down stop blocks for repeat cuts.

Once I had the apron, and joists in place, it was time to focus on the legs – which I so desperately didn’t want to screw up! I sanded one corner down just enough to get a bevel to screw into, and then screwed a hangar bolt (lag screw thread on one side, machine thread on the other) into the leg (hint: if you put 2 nuts screwed against each other, you can actually drive the screw in).

Once the bolt was installed, I could put it into the corner brace and tighten it up with a nut and lock washer.

Once all the legs were installed, the core of the table was finished!

Then I threw together the extensions, and viola! (note: the only tools actively used in the building of this table were the square and pencil)

All together, I’m happy with the build… definitely needs a good sanding, and finished, but I think I’ll leave that to Kathy’s capable hands ;)

Share

No Comment.

Add Your Comment